If you're a fan of audio books and Doctor Who, the this is some truly great news. BBC Worldwide is to release The Doctor Who Audio Annual featuring audio versions of vintage tales first seen in the Doctor Who Annuals published in the 1960's through to the 1980's.
The Annual comes out in December and will feature classic adventures from the first six incarnations of The Doctor, read by stars of the show: Peter Purves (who played companion Steven), Anneke Wills (Polly), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master), Matthew Waterhouse (Adric) and Nicola Bryant (Peri).
"For two decades, from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s, every fan of the Doctor hoped to find The Doctor Who Annual in their Christmas stocking. Larger than life and twice as colourful, the stories within were exuberant — and often charmingly naive - in their take on 'the children's own programme which adults adore'."
- The Sons of Grekk, in which the First Doctor is held prisoner in a brutal, otherworldly society.
- The King of Golden Death where the Second Doctor, Polly and Ben have materialised inside an Ancient Egyptian pyramid.
- Dark Intruders, with The Third Doctor, Jo and the Brigadier confronting a familiar adversary.
- Conundrum with the Fourth Doctor, Adric and K9 experiencing warped physics in the corridors of the TARDIS.
- The Penalty, where a delirious Fifth Doctor finds old friends and adversaries ganging up on him.
- The Real Hereward, where the Sixth Doctor and Peri plunge into a dangerous period of British history.
Also included are two vintage essays on the character of the Doctor: Who is Doctor Who? from 1966 and The Phoenix in the TARDIS from 1968.
The Annual can be pre-ordered from Amazon